“Now Harry, you must know all about Muggles. Tell me, what exactly is the function of a potato masher?”
When I was thinking about which character I would like to cook for I thought of Mr Weasley from Harry Potter. I love how fascinated he is with muggle life and thought that he might quite like to see what we use this utensil for:
Well Mr Weasley, I use it to smash up potatoes to make a pie! I guess Mrs Weasley just waves her wand and has a mound of mashed potatoes but us muggles have to boil the potatoes and then take our anger out on them with this magnificent utensil.
My veganess pie has a base of onions, green beans, mushrooms and carrots and is topped with a gloriously creamy mashed potato and some sliced tomato. Super autumn food!
Veganess Pie (Vegan and Gluten Free)
- 900g potatoes
- 2 tbsp margarine (I used Flora Buttery)
- 100g chopped onions
- 100g green beans
- 300g mushrooms
- 400g tinned green lentils
- 2 chopped carrots
- 400ml passata
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp worcester sauce (gluten free)
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp cornflour dissolved in 3tbsp water
- Add the chopped onions and garlic to a heavy based pan with some oil and fry until translucent.
- Add the green beans, mushrooms and carrots and cook until softened.
- Add the lentils, passata, tamari, worcester sauce and herbs and cook until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Add the cornflour and mix before leaving the mixture to one side to cool.
- Boil the potatoes in a large pan until soft. Once drained, add the margarine and mash to the consistency you like! (I don’t mind a lumpy mash and I also don’t peel the potatoes but this is personal preference)
- Pour the filling into an oven dish and top with the mashed potato. Add some sliced tomato to the top and some salt and pepper.
- Cook in a preheated oven at 180°C for half an hour or until golden brown.