Where have you been in the vegan world if you’ve not heard of Sainsbury’s ‘Shroomdogs’? I don’t think I’m alone in believing that they are best vegan sausages out there at the moment and you can’t taste the mushrooms! I was super excited to find out that Sainsbury’s had introduced a chorizo shroomdog to their vegan range and last week I managed to grab myself a pack. I immediately thought of paella for my chorizo but ended up making a lovely fried rice recipe.
I wasn’t sure how the sausages would cook if I added them to the vegetables and rice so I cooked them individually in a frying pan first for around ten minutes. They smelled amazing as soon as I opened the packet and the smoked paprika smell was soon filling the kitchen as I fried them! When I sliced them up they were a lot firmer than the original ‘shroomdog’ and a gorgeous smokey orange colour.
I used red and yellow peppers, sweetcorn, peas, green beans, broccoli and some spinach in my rice dish but you could use whatever vegetables you have left in your fridge. I fried them with some smoked paprika, garlic and tomato puree before adding some precooked rice and the sausages.
Smoked Chorizo Fried Rice
- pack of Sainsbury’s Chorizo sausages
- 100g basmati rice
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- handful of frozen sweetcorn, green beans and peas
- half a broccoli
- baby spinach
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- oil for frying
- First cook the rice and set to one side
- Add some oil to a frying pan and fry the sausages over a medium heat until browned. This took me around 10 minutes.
- Add some oil to a large pan or wok and stir fry your vegetables and garlic. Add the smoked paprika, tomato puree and a little bit of water to stop it drying out.
- Slice the sausages and add them to the wok with the rice. Toss until the rice has gone an orange colour from the tomato puree and veggies.
- Sprinkle with nooch and serve!