It’s been a long time since I last posted. Hopefully I’m back to normal now after a crazy summer of preparing for festivals, going to festivals and then recovering from them multiple times in a row! Please accept my apologies for the lack of posts. Hopefully this lovely soup recipe will make up for it!
Over the past week I’ve been suffering the after effects of a gluten attack. While I’m pretty sure that I’ve not eaten any gluten, some cross contamination seems to have occured somewhere. Any coeliacs reading this probably know the symptoms which for me include tiredness, stomach aches and a weakened immune system. For the last couple of days I’ve been full of a cold and thankfully the weather has gotten cool enough for me to indulge in the ultimate comfort food – soup!
The following soup came together when I had an abundance of mushrooms and some fresh spinach. I always love the two together and the thought of an earthy mushroom soup made me feel well enough to head to the kitchen.
I served this soup with some garlic bread which I made using DS brown ciabatta which I cut in half and smeared with margarine blended with garlic powder and mixed herbs. I then put it in the oven until the margarine had melted and the sides of the bread had gone crispy.
Mushroom Spinach Soup
- 500g mushrooms, chopped
- 1 courgette, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- Large handful spinach
- 1 stock pot (I used Kallo)
- Olive oil
- Fry the onion in a tiny bit off olive oil until soft
- Add the chopped mushrooms and courgette and stir until slightly soft
- Add enough water to cover the vegetables and bring to the boil
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for ten minutes
- Add the spinach and cook for a further five minutes
- Blend and serve with lots of black pepper
What’s your ultimate comfort food?