In the past two years I’ve built up a huge collection of vegetarian cookbooks and at the moment I’m trying my best to use them more and rely less on internet recipes. Some of my favourite cookbooks to look through are the “vintage” ones I’ve found in the stockroom at Oxfam. For some reason I rarely use them which is a shame.
Today I decided to use up one of the aubergines that came in this week’s veg box. I’ve been fighting a battle with aubergine as usually I find them too bitter but I’m determined to keep trying them until I like them. You may thing this sounds like self punishment but it worked with courgettes, red kidney beans and nuts/seeds so it can be done!
I searched through my shelves for a recipe involving aubergine and came across this gem of a cookbook.
This book was published in 1984 and the recipes are therefore not big on the health side of food. I used the recipe “Aubergines with Pasta and Cheese” as a guide but it needed veganising, making gluten free and I felt it needed more vegetables. I therefore used gluten free pasta and added peppers and onions to the tomato sauce. I also used Cheezely instead of cheese. I served the dish with some broccoli for iron and it made a gorgeous, comforting meal.
The Original Recipe
- 2 medium sized aubergines
- Olive oil
- 225g pasta
- 300ml tomato sauce made with 3 tbsp tomato puree and water
- 225g strong cheese
- 1 clove of garlic
- salt and pepper
- Cut the aubergines into slices, sprinkle with salt and let sweat for 30 minutes
- Cook the slices in olive oil until soft and slightly browned
- Cook the pasta
- Put layers in a baking dish of tomato sauce, aubergine, pasta and cheese
- finish with a layer of cheese and bake for 25 minutes
- 1 aubergine
- gluten free pasta
- olive oil
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tomato
- 1 onion
- 1 pepper
- garlic powder (to taste)
- basil (to taste)
- enough grated cheezely to cover the top
- salt and pepper
- Slice the aubergine thinly and sprinkle with salt. Leave to sweat for 30 minutes and then wipe off the liquid.
- Put the pasta on to boil and fry the aubergine in olive oil until brown and soft
- Make the tomato sauce by mixing the tinned tomatoes, a sliced pepper, a sliced onion, garlic powder and basil
- In a baking dish put a layer of pasta followed by a layer of sliced tomato and aubergine and a layer of sauce. Then add another layer of pasta, sliced tomato and aubergine and sauce. Sprinkle cheezely on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes and serve with something green (I used broccoli)